Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wearing the rainbow

Green cord shirt from Uniqlo, second hand brown leather rucksack, red embroidered scarf by Universal Works.

Back in February a sartorial ruthless whirlwind (also known as EJ) blew through my wardrobe for a spot of early Spring (wardrobe) cleaning. In addition to organising and sorting a colour inventory was taken and the results were alarming. I'm ashamed to admit to you all over again that 30% of my wardrobe was grey, 30% navy/blue, 30% brown and the final 10% was built up of only a few more additional colours. Since that shocking day I have taken it upon myself to experiment more with colour. I think we are all guilty of being drawn to a certain colour palette on the rails whilst shopping but why not take a risk or two and have a little fun with the way we dress? With this mind, over the weekend I decided to dress up in a few of my recent colourful purchases...

Green cord shirt from Uniqlo, second hand brown leather rucksack, red embroidered scarf by Universal Works, purple jeans from Uniqlo, patent shoes by Swear.

Part of me thinks I look a little special needs or at least colour blind and it has been suggested that I have channelled my inner matador or South American farmer. Whatever the outcome, you can't call the outfit dull and it certainly brought a smile to my face (although I have to concede to not smiling in the shots here) and hopefully did to a few other people I bumped into during the day. When I first sent the above shot to EJ she asked if I was wearing 'the rainbow' and I have to say this is the most colourful outfit that I've ever worn. I call this the 'Uniqlo Effect'. Walk in to any Uniqlo store and you are instantly hit with an almost overwhelming number of colour variations which confuse the mind initially but ultimately inspire. The brand's colour range has helped seduce me and many other men away from more muted tones. I recently read an article in The Independent which discussed the plain, simple and successful formula of Uniqlo. Carola Long mentioned that thanks to Uniqlo and other polychromatic emporiums such as American Apparel, male shoppers are embracing zingy and, perhaps significantly, optimistic hues such as tangerine and peppermint.

Away from the High Street there was plenty of inspiration for a colourful season ahead at the Aw09 shows. McQueen's show contained a bounty of desirable stand-alone pieces. The show had a wealth of depth, every time I look at this collection I see another highlight but I love the earthy tones featured throughout. Lanvin continued the blend of traditional lux fabrics and technological twist but it was the mix of deep red and green accessories against the well cut relaxed suits which got me excited and is something I am desperate to try in the coming months. Closer to home James Long surprised me most with his varied collection. Whilst making beige an exciting shade London's most exciting designer raised excitement levels with bursts of claret. One of the most simple yet effective colour palettes was Lou Dalton's collection. The mix of charcoal, stone, khaki and olive green referenced a quintessential country gentleman and came together wonderfully. Colour is an instant mood lifter and as the days get shorter and that bit colder I'm going to turn to a bright hue for a quick pick me up.

No comments:

Popular Posts